Thursday, September 27, 2012

Blog Post #3: The Arboretum


As I ventured across campus Monday morning sick as a dog, my mood was just about as high as the temperature outside. Although I had never been to the Arboretum, my expectations were far from high due to my negativity that started off my day. However, right when I arrived my spirits were lifted. That’s the joy in life sometimes; starting your day with pessimism and low expectations, and then finding something that is pleasantly surprising to make the day a little more worthwhile.

The first thing I saw upon arriving the Arboretum was a vast lawn with the greenest grass with a beautiful, circular fountain in the distance. Immediately, I thought it would be a great place for a wedding. To my surprise, I learned shortly after that many people do in fact get married there, so many that there is a three and a half year long wait list! I thought to myself what many other students and alumni must think; if I wound out meeting my future husband at Penn State, what other place could I get married?

Before I discovered more of the Arboretum just a few things about nature and I. I used to really dislike the outdoors, between the bugs and the critters, and the excessive heat or cold. It just was not for me. But beginning the summer going into my senior year of high school, my best friend Lauren really showed me the wonders of nature. I live in Maryland, by many locks in the C&O canal, and by Great Falls, Virginia. Fourth of July 2011, Lauren took me to hike a trail called the Billy Goat Trail, and after once I reached the top, I realized how incredible nature could really be. From then on, we made it a tradition to visit the canal or Great Falls as much as we could, whether it is hiking, biking, or the occasional swimming.

Now back to my Arboretum experience. I got to walk around with my group members for the project, one of which is a native of State College. He shared with many neat facts with us about the large sundial, and even showed out how the time displays on the large stones. I was very impressed with the sundial, and thought it was a great focal point of the Arboretum. The uniqueness of the rigid stone, with the sharp and smoother stone on top was beautifully made. We later walked over to the sunflowers, which had to be my favorite part. Between the vividness of the yellow and the abundance of flowers, made the sunflower garden a truly incredible sight to see. My favorite part of the sunflower garden had to of been the bench that was surrounded with vines and leaves that sat right in front of it, which appeared like such a peaceful spot.

After walking through the mini mazes of flowers, I got a good sense of what the Arboretum was like. I was thoroughly impressed with the large variety of flowers they had packed in, so close together. I could definitely see myself revisiting, because there was information provided about the flowers, pollinators, and other critters that abide in the Arboretum.




2 comments:

  1. Megan,

    How great that you got a lesson in how to read the sundial! Maybe you can teach me?

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sunflowers were also my favorite part of the entire Arboretum! I also knew you could get married here, and was hoping I would be able to some day. Thank you for letting me know that the wait to have a wedding here is a very long time! Now I know I have to plan very early! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete